We've all heard of the danger of your pet eating chocolate but there are some other foods you should avoid feeding your pet as well:
- Xylitol - an artificial sweetener often found in sugar-free candy and gums. Some peanut and other nut butters contain xylitol, so be sure to check the label. Sugar-free desserts including "skinny" ice creams also contain this toxic chemical. Always read the label carefully before feeding your pet any food or treat. If they accidentally ingest your food with this product in it, seek immediate veterinary care.
- Onions - in raw form onions contain a toxic ingredient, n-propyl disulfide, an oxidant that can do oxidant damage to red blood cells. Toxins can build up in your pet's system over time and could slowly reach the point where exposure to an onion could get them sick. Severe onion poisoning in dogs can be fatal.
- Grapes, currants, and raisins - can cause kidney failure in dogs. Any exposure or ingestion of these fruits should be cause for concern and you should immediately contact your veterinarian.
- Fatty and fried foods - in large enough quantities, fatty or fried foods can cause inflammation of the pancreas, which can cause it to produce enzymes that can severely damage your pet's intestines.
- Macadamia nuts (dogs) - ingestion of these nuts by dogs has been associated with a non-fatal syndrome, with symptoms of vomiting, weakness, fever, muscle tremors and depression, visible within as few as 12 hours of ingestion. If your dog has eaten macadamia nuts, you should seek care from your veterinarian as quickly as possible for treatment.
- Avocados - in large amounts, the chemical in avocados, Persin, can be toxic to most animals. You should keep your pet away from the pit (as well as leaves and the actual plant) for several reasons - it could obstruct their throat, stomach or intestines.
- Chocolate - it's true that some types of chocolate aren't as toxic as others but err on the side of caution and keep your pet away from all types of chocolate.